Conservation of priority forests and forest openings in "Ethnikos Drymos Oitis" and "Oros Kallidromo" of Sterea Ellada, LIFE11 NAT/GR/1014
Action A.12: Determination of governance structure and legal status of the areas of the target habitats and species
The purpose of this action is to determine the governance structure and the legal status of the Natura 2000 sites of Mt. Oiti (GR244004) and Mt. Kallidromo (GR244006). The action will start at the onset of the project.
Governance is defined as the interaction among structures, processes and traditions that determine how power and responsibilities are exercised, how decisions are taken, and how stakeholders participate in these decisions. This will be determined:
- Βy semi-structured interviews of the stakeholders, including key governance bodies and people, identified by action A.11 and during the first meeting of the Stakeholder Committee (action F.2);
- Βy informal interviews on site;
- Βy the local community survey (action A.11).
The results will be analysed and the governance structure described and evaluated.
The legal status will be defined by a review of the existing EU and national legislation and policies, which affect the conservation of the target habitats and species. The study will include investigation of the administrative structure and the institutional framework.
Both the above activities will include recommendations that will support the concrete conservation interventions and will be incorporated in the proposals for after-LIFE conservation (action F.4). In addition the results will contribute to the issue of specific legislation for the Natura 2000 sites of Mt. Oiti and Mt. Kallidromo (action C.10).
The determination of governance structure is essential in order to identify key governance barriers to the effective management and protection of the target habitats and species. Good governance is currently identified as essential for conservation management. Failure of managers to take into account existing governance structures and processes, and to integrate project actions as part of those, has often led to failure of nature conservation projects.
The review of existing legislation and policy and its clear communication to stakeholders will be a useful tool for management design and application. Both the activities will ensure the long-term conservation of the target habitats and species.
- A report on the governance structure, including recommendations for its improvement, to be taken into account in the implementation of action C.10
- A report on the legal status of the target habitats and species and their areas, including recommendations for improvement of the administrative structure and legislative efficiency, to be taken into account in the implementation of action C.10